Saturday, August 18, 2007

The beginning of an adventure

Hola mis amigos!

Well, I have survived my first 2 days in Mexico! It's a good thing that life here in general is pretty laid back because it is quite a transition thus far. The trip here went great, I had no problem navigating the airports, making my planes or getting through customs. I caught a taxi to my host family's house and was greeted by the granddaughter of my host mom, Aspasia, who ended up being a lot of fun. I taught her a few card games last night, and we had a lot of fun. my host mom, Lupita, is very gracious and thinks that I don't eat enough. :) It's true that I'm not eating my normal amount, but that is because of the heat. Oh the heat. The day I flew in, it was so hot that I began to question whether I wanted to stay and risk death or turn around and go home. I'm not even being dramatic- it was as hot as hades. Fortunately, however, I soon found out that it was only that hot because there was a massive thunderstorm brewing which turned out to be nothing like the thunderstorms that I am used to. I normally really like thunderstorms, but this was a whole different level of rain, thunder and lightening. About 2 in the morning, I awoke to booming thunder, torrential rain and flashing lightening that was centered right above the house. There was absolutely no time in-between the thunder and lightening- it was centered directly above us. Needless to say, it was quite the event, and actually quite frightening. Due to the storm, however, this morning was much cooler- still hot but definitely bearable.

Ok, moving on. I have to make this quick because I am using my host brother's computer, and I don't want to monopolize it. I didn't expect to have internet access in the house, but Ernesto (my host brother) showed me that if you put the computer in the window of the living room, you can pick up wireless internet for free. It is pretty high tech here in Mazatlan. So anyway, I went to orientation this morning at my language school, and I was really impressed with the people there. I didn't meet any of my teachers, but the women working there were really nice, and it was great to speak English for awhile. It is unbelievable, by the way, how much practice I have had just living with my host family. No one speaks English, so it is a pretty Spanish-intensive environment. :) I can't space out for a minute or I've missed an entire sentence that is crucial to understanding the person speaking. It is really good for me though. I will be a lot better at Spanish after a whole month!

That's it for now friends, I'll write again as soon as I can!

6 comments:

Lin said...

Bethany! So excited to find your post! Thanks again for calling when you got there, I was greatly relieved, U R a good daughter. Dad took me on a little river cruise today by R shore restaurant, if was FREE! Doug and Linda went with us. I cleaned off the pool table today and went through all the stuff again. Now is is in the house, to be sold, or in plastic boxes. Tell your host Mom thank you for me for taking care of you. What is the grand daughter's name? We look forward to your next post. Hasta luego me hija dulce? Love, Mom

ROD said...

Good to hear from you. I found out the problem with your phone. Hold down the 0 until it changes to a +. Then dial 1 503 and the number. Also, if you have any more problems, you can call T-mobile in Mexico at + 1 505-998-3793.
We'll tell all our friends about your blog, so you should have several hundred hits every day! love, your dad.

Gitta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gitta said...

Bethany Dear! I am so thankful to hear that you are safe and sound in Mexico once again. I am praying for you and can't wait to hear more of the adventures of my beautiful bilingual friend!

Hasta pronto!
Love, Gitta

Anonymous said...

You big weinie. How like a born-and-bred Portlander to complain about the heat! Life in the heat is how the rest of us live, accept for you lucky people in the Willamette Valley and the eskuimoes up north. Seriously, it sounds like a great experience. have a great time, and learn some Spanish! I'll be looking forward to hearing more of your adventures along the way. BTW, Robert sends his regards. He returned to Germany today but is still hoping you will visit later this year.--Your cousin, Scott

tiffany said...

hey bethany so you come back in like 3 weeks i am so happy i miss you so much
love ya take care
~tiffany