Friday, March 28, 2008

An American Accent


Friday was the first day of class. It was somewhat strange to enter into an educational environment after spending the last couple of days solely enjoying the hospitality of Edinburgh, Scotland.
In order to get to our rented classroom, we walked through an affluent neighborhood that reminded me of the posh, Queen Anne neighborhood in
Seattle, except with houses made of stone that probably date back hundreds of years. The classroom space that we rented was in a quaint hotel across from a beautiful, stone church with a bell that rang on the hour- it was all very European.
In class, we discussed the unavoidable experience of feeling extremely displaced when first arriving to a foreign country- even a Westernized one like Scotland. People inevitably treat you differently, and that isn't always a good thing. It is also very strange to be the one with the accent-people often ask me to repeat myself, even when I am speaking slowly.
On Thursday, we spent a couple of hours on a walking tour of Edinburgh, the highlight being Edinburgh Castle. It was odd to explore the dungeon, and realize that the Scottish were quite feared in years past, and there was even an engraving of an American flag on one of the prison doors that was carved by an American prisoner (see picture). On the way home from our tour, Katherine, Kelsey and I got a bit turned around, and we ended up taking the scenic route. It is suffice to say that I don't know how many miles we walked, but we had a good appetite for dinner that night.

Here are a few more of my pictures so far:

The yellow flowers were growing all over downtown- they smell like coconut!

The little cottage was at the end of a large garden space downtown, I think that it may be the gardener's cottage- I took this picture for you mom!






Finally, the tower with the spires is Scotland's monument to the author Sir Walter Scott who was native to Edinburgh. Prior to Scott's writing, traditional Scottish bagpipes and kilts were outlawed by the ruling English, but his novels managed to popularize Scottish culture and heritage in England. King George IV was so inspired that he not only repealed the oppressive law, but also visited Scotland wearing a kilt himself.

7 comments:

Lin said...

That yellow flower looks a lot like Gorse! It was brought over from the British Isles to the south coast of Oregon and has just about taken over..worse than black berries and wicked thorns! They say it had a lot to do with the whole town of Bandon burning years ago. Gpa Willett fought it around the cranberry bogs in Bandon. Ask someone if it is called Gorse.
Loved the cottage...perfect shot.
I am surprised there were any flowers blooming right now but keep those pics coming if you see any more Love you lots! Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi there Brittany! Your Mom's right...check to see if the flowers have long mean spikey thorns. If it does it's gorse (which I know grows there because we saw it on St. Andrew's golf course in Scotland). If it doesn't have thorns it is probably Scotch Broom which also grows all over Bandon and blooms this time of year over here. Aren't the homes beautiful? Have a wonderful time and love you! Aunt Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hi there BETHANY!!! Don't even ask...I can only blame the name thing on early Sunday morning after long LA trip :):) And I slept without my hormone patch last night which messes with my mind. Anyway...there was no way to change it that I found so you're the first to notice my early mental changes :). Love you and have a laugh on me. Aunt Nancy

Erin said...

Aunt Nancy- Scotland is part of Great Britain, so I think your mind was playing a trick on you.

Beth- Thanks for the update. I love seeing all the beautiful pictures. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Amy McMurtrey said...

I love you so much friend! It is so good to know that you are having fun and soaking it all in. Remember what you set your heart on...drawing close to the Father. This week I have been so aware of the fact that he is all that matters. I hope that you have a wonderful birthday! Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

Lover! I enjoyed your pictures :-) and miss your cute face! Gitta and I loved hearing your voice yesterday (don't every worry that we will forget about you. If you need affirmation, a cheaper way is to email :-) You are wonderful and I hope classes continue to go well!
Libs

Anna Ruth said...

um... beefy? You said that it's strange that people have trouble with your accent even when you speak slowly... you don't speak slowly. homewoodsonthewillamette!!!!
just kidding, it sounds like you are having a fabulous time! Beautiful pictures!